× Back

Motorhome Insurance Guide

Need help with Motorhome insurance?

Request a callback

Or call 0333 414 1872

Motorhome Insurance Guide
Part of Brightside Insurance Services Ltd

Motorhome Insurance

A Motorhome is a popular leisure investment, providing countless opportunities to explore towns and villages near home and further afield. However, before you set off, it’s crucial to ensure that your Motorhome is insured correctly. Here at Brightside, we arrange insurance that’s personalised to your precise preferences so that there’s no need to worry whilst you’re on your travels. 

What is a Motorhome?

A Motorhome or campervan is a recreational vehicle which offers living accommodation. A Motorhome has a section for the driver and then usually sleeping spaces for two to eight people, a kitchen area and usable water. 

Motorhomes can generally be put into 3 categories depending on their design and size

Class A

This style of Motorhome is similar to your classic American RV (recreational vehicle). They tend to be larger in size and have a streamlined look from the driver’s area through to the living quarters. The body of a Class A Motorhome is purposely built up around the engine and the chassis and doesn’t use sections from other vehicles. Class A Motorhomes tend to be more luxurious and in turn, more expensive.

Class B

Class B Motorhomes are often referred to as panel van Motorhomes. These vehicles look like large delivery vans that have been turned into Motorhomes. They are either purpose built and registered as Motorhomes straight from the factory or alternatively, can be converted from a regular panel van. Class B Motorhomes also consist of smaller style panel vans like campervans, micro vans and day vans. Due to their size, they do not tend to have a toilet or a shower and sleep less people. To increase space, it is common to have a pop top roof or rising roof to further extend the living area. 

Class C

This is more of a classic Motorhome style and very common in the UK. A class C Motorhome looks like a van from the front; where the driver and a passenger sit. The living section is then permanently attached to the back of the cab section with a more box like shape. Many of these Motorhomes have an overhead sleeping or storage space above the driver and passenger seats. These vehicles are usually big enough for a kitchen area and bathroom, sleeping a family of two adults and two children comfortably. 

Motorhome Conversions


Converted Motorhomes are becoming more and more common as they are a cheaper way of creating a motor caravan or campervan. Most converted Motorhomes originally start out as a large panel van but can be converted from all different shaped and sized vehicles. Individuals can often convert these vans themselves, but there are also plenty of companies that will convert a van into a Motorhome professionally. 

To be able to drive and use a converted Motorhome legally, it needs to be re-registered as a Motorhome. This means changing its classification and therefore must meet certain requirements. Those requirements and more information can be found on Gov UK.

What type of Insurance do I need for my Motorhome?

As per the Road Traffic Act 1988, all vehicles that are driven on public roads need to be insured against third party risks. This means that it is a legal requirement to have motor insurance when driving within the UK. There are three levels of cover that can be purchased for a Motorhome, ranging from the minimum Third Party cover up to fully comprehensive. You can also choose to have multiple drivers on one policy dependent on your needs.

Levels of cover available


Third party only

This is the lowest level of cover and the minimum requirement to be on the road legally. This level of insurance only provides cover for damage caused to any other vehicles (and persons) and not your own. Because you are only protecting third parties, this policy type tends to be the cheapest. 

Third party fire and theft

This level of insurance cover provides the same features as Third Party only but includes additional cover if your vehicle is stolen or damaged by fire.


This is the highest level of cover, protecting all parties in the event of an incident – including damage to your own vehicle. If you have an accident that was your fault, your insurer will still cover the repairs on your vehicle as well as the third party. This is generally the most popular level of cover for Motorhomes.

Couple campervan



If you are unsure of what level of Motorhome insurance you require, speak to one of our experts today on 0333 414 1872. They can talk you through multiple Motorhome insurance quotes and tailor a policy to your needs.

Am I licensed to drive a Motorhome?


Whether you can drive a Motorhome will depend on factors such as; The year you passed your driving test and the weight of the vehicle you are wanting to drive. For example:

Passed your driving test after the 1st of January 1997

If you passed your driving test after this date you will generally be entitled to drive vehicles within Category B and B1. This means that you could legally drive a vehicle weighing less than 3.5 tonnes and tow a trailer up to a maximum weight of 0.75 tonnes. If a vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes but under 7.5 tonnes, you will need to pass a separate driving test. These heavier vehicles fall within Category C1 on your driving licence. The good news is, most modern Motorhome manufacturers now tend to make their vehicles under 3.5 tonnes so that buyers don’t need to pass another test.

Passed your driving test before the 1st of January 1997

If you passed your driving test before this date, then you should automatically be allowed to drive vehicles that fall within category C1 on your licence. This is because licenses given out before January 1997 already have category C1 entitlement, meaning you do not need to do a separate test to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes.


To determine what vehicles you can drive, you can check both types of driving license. Your pink photocard will have your entitled categories on the back, whilst your paper license will state it clearly on the front.

When you reach 70 years of age you will need to renew your driving licence. To avoid renewing onto the new licence type and losing your previous vehicle category entitlement, you can ask your GP to fill out a medical form (usually at a cost).

If you are still unsure about your licence or need help, you can visit the DVLA’s website or speak to one of our experts on 0333 414 1872.

Can you insure my Motorhome?


As an insurance broker, we have access to a large panel of insurers. This means that we can provide Motorhome cover for almost any scenario, tailoring a specific Motorhome insurance package to meet your needs.

For example, we can arrange Motorhome insurance cover if:





  • You need conversion time to convert a panel van or minibus to a Motorhome
  • You have a high value Motorhome
  • You have previous claims or convictions
  • You or your named drivers are aged between 25 and 84
  • You don’t have any no claims bonuses available to use
  • Your Motorhome or campervan is your main/only vehicle or secondary vehicle
  • You need commuting or business cover
  • You need the vehicle insured in your company name
  • You need European use (subject to change)
This is just a small sample of what we can cover. You can call today on 0333 414 1872 and enquire about your Motorhome insurance needs. Alternatively, you can request a callback below.

What else can I include on my policy?

Motorhome Breakdown Cover

Motorhome Breakdown Cover

We can offer UK only or UK and European Motorhome Breakdown Cover for any Motorhomes up to a maximum of 7.5 tonnes in weight. With many features, Motorhome Breakdown cover offers peace of mind for when you’re on your travels, meaning you can enjoy your holiday wherever you are within the UK or Europe.

Legal Protection

Legal Protection

This cover pursues damages up to £100,000 against a negligent third party should you suffer injury or financial loss from an accident. This cover can give you peace of mind, knowing that expensive legal bills following an accident will not have to come out of your own pocket.

Key Cover

Key Cover

Our Motorhome key cover provides protection for keys that are on your assigned fob. These can include the keys to your private car and house as well as your Motorhome. With loss and theft covered including replacement of locks, this additional product really can help relieve the stress of losing your keys.

Motorhome excess protection

Motorhome excess protection

Excess Protection or Motorhome excess insurance is a great optional extra to have. In the unfortunate event you were to have an accident, you could use this product to claim back your excess once the claim is settled. This is the perfect solution should you want a higher voluntary excess to try and reduce your premium.

Still confused about Motorhome Insurance?


As Motorhome insurance brokers, our experts are on hand to answer your queries and provide you with tailored Motorhome quotes. Get Motorhome insurance today by calling 0333 414 1872 or arrange a call-back below.


Finished here?

Head back to our main Motorhome page or check out some other guides below