Get a no obligation quote in minutes from our UK based team.

CALL NOW 0333 414 1783


How it works

  • You’ll talk to one of our team who will take you through a few simple questions to understand your specific needs.
  • More often than not we’ll be able to offer you a quote there and then. If your requirements are a little more complex we can also talk to one of our insurers directly to ensure they understand your individual circumstances

Call us now on 0333 414 1783

Why Logical Choice Insurance?

  • We work with  a panel of UK insurers to provide you with a quote based on your individual needs.
  • We can cover all sorts of unique circumstances – low NCD, a criminal conviction, imports, and modifications.
  • We have long-standing relationships with some of the UK's leading specialist insurers.

Do I need car insurance as a non-UK resident?

It is a legal requirement for every driver in the UK to have car insurance. That means if you’re planning on driving anywhere and for any amount of time in the UK, you’ll need to have insurance.

If you’re planning on using a rental car, insurance will probably included in the cost, meaning you won’t be required to take out any additional cover. However, you may want to consider taking out separate excess cover, as this may be cheaper than what the hiring company provides.

Our best quotes are done over the phone with our insurance experts. Fill in the form below and we'll call you back:

Can I drive in the UK without a UK license?

Anyone with a valid driving license from their country of residence can drive in the UK for at least a year, depending on a few factors. Some international driving licenses must be exchanged for a permanent UK licence after a year, whereas others enable you to drive for much longer.

EU or EEA license

You can currently use a license issued from a country within the European Union (EE) or European Economic Area (EAA) until the license expires, which happens automatically when you turn 70. Your license will also expire three years after you become a UK resident, so the expiration date is whichever one happens last.

License from a ‘designated country’

If you have a license from a ‘designated country’, you can drive in the UK for up to 12 months before then having the option to exchange it with a UK license. You’ll need to do this within five years of becoming a UK resident, but you won’t need to retake your test.

The ‘designated countries’ are Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, and Zimbabwe. The same rules apply for licenses issued from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, and the Isle of Man.

License from a ‘non-designated country’

If your driving licence isn't issued by one of the above countries, you can still drive in the UK for up to 12 months. However, you will need to apply for a provisional UK license and then pass your test again in order to continue driving in the UK.

Different types of non-UK license holder insurance policies

There are several options available to you, all of which provide different levels of cover. The type you choose depends on how much you want to spend and the amount of coverage you’ll need in the event of an accident.

Third party only

This will only cover other vehicles or people involved in an accident that was your fault. It doesn’t protect you or your vehicle if an incident takes place.

Third party fire and theft

As with third party only insurance, third party fire and theft covers any injuries sustained by a third party involved in an accident with you and the damage done to their vehicle. It also covers any damage from fire or theft caused to your vehicle.


Comprehensive insurance covers everything included with third party fire and theft, but if you are involved in an accident that you caused, damage to your car is also covered as opposed to only that of the third party (or third parties).

Temporary insurance for non-UK license holders

If you’re unsure of the level of cover you need, it may be worth looking at a temporary policy.

Logical Choice Insurance offers temporary insurance cover for anywhere between 24 hours and 28 days.

This means that you aren’t tied into a long-term commitment if you’re still deciding how long you’ll be in the UK or whether you want to continue to drive on a non-UK licence.

Whichever option you go for, you can also add the following features to your policy at any time:

RAC breakdown cover


Excess protection


Key cover


Motor legal expenses


Logical Choice is a trading style of Brightside Insurance Services Ltd. Registered in England and Wales number 04137311. Registered office: Brightside Park, Severn Bridge, Aust, Bristol BS35 4BL. Brightside Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Firm Reference Number 302216).