Our cookie policy

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience of our website. If you continue, we'll assume you're happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our Privacy & security policy for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

× Back


What you need to do if you’re travelling to the EU after 31 October 2019 in the event of a no deal Brexit. 

In the event of a no deal a Green Card will be required for all vehicles which travel in the EU (including travel from Northern Ireland to the Rep of Ireland) after 31 October 2019. It is required to prove you have the right level of insurance to drive abroad.

Who does it affect?

It will affect you if:

  • you’re travelling to the EU before this period and returning after 31st October,
  • you’re travelling to the EU after the 31st October;
  • you’re travelling with a trailer weighing over 750kg before towing you will need a separate Green Card.

You do not need a green card if you’re renting a car in the EU after this time because the rental company will provide local insurance.

Who needs a Green Card?

You will need a green card if you intend to drive your own vehicle in the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

When do I need a Green Card?

You will need a green card from 31st October 2019 in the event of a no-deal Brexit, this includes customers who are already in the EU on the 31st October 2019.

Give yourself plenty of time

It is an international certificate of insurance proving a minimum level of cover for driving in the EU.

What countries are covered by the Green Card?

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (inc Monaco), Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy (inc San Marino and the Vatican City), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Rep of Ireland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

How do I get a Green Card?

Just call 0333 414 1500 or

Email us

What information do I need to provide to get a Green Card?

You will need to have the following information to hand when you contact us by either email or phone

• Your full name 
• Policy Number
• Registration number of vehicle 
• Dates of travel
• Purpose of travel
• Country/countries of travel
• Please highlight if you will be towing a trailer

How long will it take to get a Green Card?

Please allow at least 14 days before travel.

Can I get the Green Card myself?

No. As a policyholder of Brightside Insurance you will need to get the Green Card through us using the contact details provided.

Do I need to do anything if I’m towing a trailer?

Commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg must be registered before they can travel to or through most EU and EEA countries. This means the trailers must be registered with the DVLA, display their own registration plate separate to the vehicle towing them, and be able to present the Trailer Registration Certificate to a foreign authority upon request.

Do I need to do anything regarding my UK driving licence when travelling in the EU?

UK driving licence holders visiting the EU and intending to drive in that country may require an International Driving Permit in addition to their UK licence in order to be able to drive. The requirement will vary by country, e.g. an IDP is not required for Ireland.