Our cookie policy

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience of our website. If you continue, we'll assume you're happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our Privacy & security policy for more information on cookies and how to manage them.



From 1 January 2021 UK motorists driving vehicles in the EU and EEA member states, Switzerland, Serbia, Iceland, Norway and Andorra will need to carry Green Cards.

We will keep our pages updated as new information becomes available.

Brightside Insurance customers
Find out what you need to do >

One Insurance Solution customers 
Find out what you need to do >

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card provides proof that there is motor insurance in place when driving your own vehicle abroad - you will not need a green card if you’re planning to hire a vehicle. However, new rules mean that it doesn’t actually have to be on green paper and can now be printed on white paper. You will need to take this printed proof of insurance with you when you travel.


What countries do I need a Green Card for?

UK motorists driving vehicles in the EU and EEA member states, Switzerland, Serbia, Iceland, Norway and Andorra. You'll also need a Green Card if you plan to drive between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.


How long does a Green Card last for?

A Green Card lasts for 90 days (or until you’re due to renew, if your renewal is less than 90 days away).


How do I get a Green Card?

To get a Green Card you will need to contact us at least six weeks before you are planning to travel.

Email - customer.care@brightsidegroup.co.uk or call 0333 222 1060

Our opening ours are, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 1pm.

Please could you provide the following information as part of your email / be ready with the information to hand when you call:

  • Your full name
  • Policy Number
  • Registration number of vehicle
  • Dates of travel
  • Purpose of travel
  • Country/countries of travel
  • Please highlight if you will be towing a trailer


What if I don’t have a printer?

If you don’t have an available printer, please let us know when you contact us and we will post this to you.


Which vehicles need a Green Card?

Your vehicle, a caravan or trailer weighing over 750kgs will all need an individual Green Cards. if you are collecting and towing a different trailer in the EU, you will also need a separate Green Card for that trailer if it weighs over 750kg.


What circumstances may I need to carry multiple Green Cards?

  • Fleet insurance – if you have a fleet insurance policy you will need a Green Card for each vehicle names in the fleet. 

  • When you’re towing a trailer (over 750kgs) or a caravan – you will need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer / caravan (you may need separate trailer insurance in some countries)

  • A policy is renewing during your journey – you will need a Green Card for the old and new policy. You will need to ask both your current and new insurer to provide a Green Card.

  • A multi-car policy – a Green Card is required to cover each vehicle insured under a policy, so you’ll need a Green Card for each individual vehicle included in a multi-car policy. 


Will I need a GB sticker when driving in the EU and EEA member states?

Yes, you will need a GB sticker, you are likely to get fined if your vehicle doesn’t display one.


What if I already have a Euro Symbol, do I still need a GB sticker?

If you display the Euro symbol and Great Britain (GB) national identifier on your number plate, then you will not need a separate GB sticker when travelling within the European Union.

The Euro symbol must:

  • be a minimum height of 98mm
  • have a width between 40 and 50mm
  • have a reflective blue background with 12 reflecting yellow stars at the top
  • show the member state (GB) in reflecting white or yellow

We will then email you your Green Card.